Thursday, February 9, 2012

Bring on the Smores....

I absolutely love to bake. Trying new recipes is ultra exciting for me. I decided to try Smores cookies. They look incredible and...yes, they also taste incredible.  I whipped these up last week with the help of my little 3 year old chef. He was mesmerized at the thought of putting marshmallows and Hershey bars in a cookie, as was I.

S'mores Cookies 

Ingredients:

11 Tablespoons unsalted softened butter 
1 cup brown sugar, packed
½ cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, room temp
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 ½ cups flour
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1 cup mini marshmallows
2 – 3 regular sized hershey’s bars, broken into pieces*
1 package graham crackers, broken into squares

Directions:
* In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon to combine. Set aside.
* In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter with both sugars until light and fluffy.  Add egg and vanilla.
* Add flour mixture to the butter mixer and combine on low speed.
* Fold in chips and marshmallows.  Chill dough in refrigerator for 1 hour to overnight.




Preheat oven to 375 F.  Line baking pans with parchment paper** Lay out graham crackers side by side on the pans as close as possible (they should be touching).  Place tablespoons of chilled dough on graham crackers about 1 – 1 ½ inches apart.  Press down slightly with fingertips.  Bake for 5 minutes then remove from oven to press Hershey’s bar pieces  on to the top.  Bake for 5 – 7 more minutes or until dough is beginning to turn golden brown at the edges.  Remove to a wire rack to cool.

**If you want thicker cookies, use less graham cracker-lined pans and put your cookie dough closer together.  For thinner cookies, spread out graham crackers and cookie dough across more baking pans.


REGRETS:
Is it possible to have regrets after making such a lovely dessert?  Yes, I am afraid so. The regrets could be that:
     A) I ate the whole pan     
     B) I should have made a double batch so I could eat twice as many  or 
     C) something not quite as sinister as options A or B.

Answer is C. We will call them minor regrets.  Two things:

     1)   Next time when I make the fabulous Smores Cookies, I vow to put in WAY more Hershey bars in the final baking round. As you see I used restraint in the photos above in only placing 1 Hershey bar square on each graham cracker square.  I hope to prevent any of you from making such a mistake as I have.   More Hershey Bars, you won't regret it.   :)
     2)   Less cinnamon.  This is just my taste preference, but next time I will only put in 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. I thought it was a bit too strong with a full teaspoon, but that is just my taste preference.  The food critics I live with also agree, a bit less cinnamon.


There you have it..........

No comments:

Post a Comment